Aadhaar is a 12 digit unique-identity number issued to all Indian residents based on their biometric and demographic data. UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) collects this data under the provisions of the Aadhaar Act, 2016. On 9th June 2017, the Supreme Court of India mandated an individual to link their Aadhaar for filing their Income Tax Returns. However, you must remember that Aadhaar card neither confers citizenship nor guarantees rights, benefits, or entitlements and its objective is not to replace any existing ID proofs.
From AY 2017-18, Aadhaar card is mandatory for filing income tax return. So, if you do not have Aadhaar-card, its better you apply for the same as soon as possible.
How to apply for Aadhaar Card
Anyone who is a citizen of India can apply for Aadhaar-card.
- First, you need to locate the nearest Aadhaar card centers by visiting the website https://appointments.uidai.gov.in.
- You have to select state, district, and sub-district or you can also search by pin code of your location to find the address of nearest Aadhaar-card centers.
- After finding the address, you can apply for an appointment date online by visiting https://uid.gujarat.gov.in/SitePages/AppointmentforAadhaarEnrolment.aspx. You have to take the printed form with you to the center on the date fixed.
- If your location is not registered in the online appointment application website, you have to apply physically at nearby Aadhaar-card center.
- Download Aadhaar card enrollment form from the website https://uidai.gov.in/images/aadhaar_enrolment_correction_form_version_2.1.pdf.
- After filling the form, you have to visit and submit the enrollment form along with the required documents to the Aadhaar card centers.
- The officer will ask you to provide the enrollment form and xerox of documents along with the original documents to cross check.
- After verifying the documents, he will take your biometric details such as a photograph, fingerprints and iris scan and ask you to cross check the details given so that he can submit the details to Aadhaar database.
- Once the details are provided, an officer will provide you the acknowledgment slip, which you should keep safe to track the status of your Aadhaar card.
- You will receive the Aadhaar card in 30-90 days at your home address.
You can track the status of Aadhaar card at https://resident.uidai.gov.in/check-aadhaar-status by entering 28 digit enrolment ID of which first 14 digits are your enrolment number, and the remaining 14 numbers contain date and time (dd/mm/yyyy hh: mm: ss), which is provided in your acknowledgment slip.
Note: Generally, application for Aadhaar card requires one identity and one address proof. The entire necessary documents list is given in the downloaded form.
How to update Aadhaar card details
There may be cases in which you need to update or change the details in existing Aadhaar card. You can update demographic details such as name, address, DOB, gender, mobile no, email-ID, relationship status, etc. as well as biometric details such as Iris, fingerprints and facial photograph. You can update the details in any of the following three ways.
- Updating Aadhaar card online is free of cost.
- For online update or correction in Aadhaar card, you need to visit the website https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/update and enter your Aadhaar number. You will receive OTP on your registered mobile number which you will need to login.
- After logging in, you need to update details regarding name, gender, DOB, address, mobile no, and email-ID if any.
- Tick mark the required field and click submit. After that, you need to fill the updated details and click on submit update request.
- Finally, you need to upload the scanned documents along with the soft copy of Aadhaar card.
Then you will receive the Aadhaar card update request number, which can be used to track the status of the application.
- You can track the status at https://ssup.uidai.gov.in/web/guest/check-status by providing with Aadhaar no and update request number.
- Updating Aadhaar-card is free of cost if updated via post.
- You need to download the form to update/change your Aadhaar card details from https://uidai.gov.in/images/UpdateRequestFormV2.pdf.
- After downloading the form, checkmark the field, which is to be modified or updated and fill them with updated details. Furthermore, remember that providing mobile number is mandatory while email-ID is optional.
- After filling the required fields, you shall post the form to the below address along with self-attested supporting documents. Remember to mark the envelope as “Aadhaar Update/Correction” on top.
Post Box No. 99, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad-500034,
3. Visiting permanent enrolment center
- Here, they will charge a fee of Rs. 25 each time you update your details.
- For change or correction in Aadhaar by visiting permanent enrolment center, you need to carry all the original documents.
- Officers will scan documents and hand back to you after updating in Aadhaar the changed details.
- You can track the status at https://resident.uidai.gov.in/check-aadhaar-status.
- The updated Aadhaar card will be posted to you within 90 days. In a case where only the mobile no or email-ID is updated, only a notification will be sent on the respective mobile no or email-ID.