The ITR– Form(Efiling Income Tax Return), also known as Sahaj, is the Income Tax Return form for most of the salaried persons but not for all categories of the salaried person as some of them need to submit their returns in ITR Form 2. Only those individual can use ITR-1 Form; whose income does not exceed Rs. 50 lakhs and includes any of the following:
Efiling Income Tax Return
- Income from salary/pension
- Income from one house property (excluding cases where loss is brought forward from PY and also note that if you have income arising from more than one house property, you are not eligible to use this form)
- Income from other sources (except income from winning in lottery and income from race horses)
Note: In case, where the income of another person like spouse, minor child, etc. is to be clubbed with the income of an assessee, this Return Form shall be used only if the income clubbed falls into the above income categories.
Following are the individuals who are not eligible to file the ITR-1 Form:
- Whose total income for the AY 2017-18 exceeds Rs. 50 lakhs
- Having income from more than one house property
- Income from winnings from lottery or racehorses
- Income under the head “Capital Gains” short-term or long-term capital gains from the sale of house, plot, shares, etc.
- Income from agriculture over Rs. 5000
- Income from business or profession
- Loss under the head “Income from Other Sources.”
- Person claiming relief U/S 90/91 for foreign tax paid or double taxation
- Having any asset located outside India or signing authority in any account established outside India
- Having income from any source outside India
ITR-1 Form is mandatory for those individual or HUF, whose total income before providing deductions under chapter VI-A of the Income Tax Act, exceeds the maximum amount which is not chargeable to tax i.e. more than Rs. 2.5 lakhs for FY 2016-17.Efiling Income Tax Return
The manner of filing ITR-1 Form
The taxpayer can file ITR-1 Form with the Income Tax Department in any of the following ways:
- By furnishing the return in paper form
- By furnishing the return electronically under digital signature
- By transmitting the data in the return electronically under electronic verification code
- By transmitting the data electronically and then submitting the verification of the return in Return Form ITR-V (the assessee shall print out two copies of Form ITR-V)
Filing returns offline is possible only in two cases either a person is 80 years old and above during the previous year or his income does not exceed Rs. Five lakhs provided no refund is claimed.
The due date for filing ITR-1 Form is 31st July of the next financial year for which the return is being filed. If an individual fails to furnish his return before the due date, he can file a Belated Return till 31st March with interest. As ITR-1 is an annexure-less form, you should not attach any documents to this return form. Any document attached along with the return will be detached and returned to the person filing the return.
To fill ITR-1 Form online, you have to visit the homepage on Income Tax Site, i.e., www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in and then login with your details. After that go to E-File-Prepare and submit the online ITR.
The taxpayer should verify the return within 120 days from the date of filing the return otherwise the tax authorities would treat the ITR filed online as invalid. He can ascertain the Income-tax Return offline by manually signing it and for online verification through his digital signature or electronic verification code. If there is an error in filing the ITR, the taxpayer can revise the return within one year from the end of relevant AY.
Structure of ITR-1 Form
- Part A-General information
- Part B-Gross total income
- Part C-Deductions and total taxable income
- Part D-Computation of tax payable
- Part E-Other information
- Schedule IT-Detail of tax payments, i.e., advance tax and self-assessment tax made by you
- Schedule TDS-Detail of TDS/TCS
Note: Submitting the Aadhaar number is mandatory from 1st July 2017.Efiling Income Tax Return